24 replies to this topic

#21 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

I've been thinking of growing this stuff too, well it's a declared weed here lol i was thinking of using it for my insomnia (chronic!) Does any1 have any info/experience?

i found it to have a nice calming effect both smoked and used in a tea, more so in a tea as smoking the leaf itself is kinda harsh on the lungs, although they say it is the dried sap that you wanna smoke. I didn't have sap just the leaf that i purchased. I think it would work good for relaxation, not sure if it is enough for chronic insomnia but it is well worth the try. Please let us know if you do try and the effects.
OK thanks. Also it's biennial, has any1 got any info on which year it's most potent? I'm guessing the second year when it's in flower.

In the spring or the young plants ready to grow for next summer are less bitter more edile

The flowering ones I find you can break the stem anywhere even taking one leaf off you can collect the sap easily it drips real good....wait for a day or 2 without rain to collect less watery sap....or to dry the leaves easier

Lettuce isnt a very good pain reliever but if you eat fresh even garden lettuce it will bump your nutrition and help a tiny bit ....better food you put in the better we get out of our body ;)
  • wharfrat likes this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

An anti inflammatory diet food is what I was getting at :)

https://www.health.h...ht-inflammation

lettuce from the garden or wild has many more nutrients then ice burg lettuce or lettuce that was picked when ....its better picked and ate as soon as you can I pick from the garden and eat my salad out there

....my guts cannot tollerate ant inflammatory medications so I try and eat better the better I eat the better I feel
  • coorsmikey and wharfrat like this

#23 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

I've been thinking of growing this stuff too, well it's a declared weed here lol i was thinking of using it for my insomnia (chronic!) Does any1 have any info/experience?

i found it to have a nice calming effect both smoked and used in a tea, more so in a tea as smoking the leaf itself is kinda harsh on the lungs, although they say it is the dried sap that you wanna smoke. I didn't have sap just the leaf that i purchased. I think it would work good for relaxation, not sure if it is enough for chronic insomnia but it is well worth the try. Please let us know if you do try and the effects.
OK thanks. Also it's biennial, has any1 got any info on which year it's most potent? I'm guessing the second year when it's in flower.

In the spring or the young plants ready to grow for next summer are less bitter more edile

The flowering ones I find you can break the stem anywhere even taking one leaf off you can collect the sap easily it drips real good....wait for a day or 2 without rain to collect less watery sap....or to dry the leaves easier

Lettuce isnt a very good pain reliever but if you eat fresh even garden lettuce it will bump your nutrition and help a tiny bit ....better food you put in the better we get out of our body ;)

Is it orally active (or does it have extensive first pass metabolism?) Oh sorry didnt see your post, wharf. It is active but I'd still be interested in how much gets knocked off by liver)

Edited by scott_1971_h, 16 August 2017 - 09:18 AM.

• wildedibles likes this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I know the really strong wold lettuce it is so bitter I dare you to eat more then one leaf it is prob a saftey feature of the plant not to eat too much

I do not know how the liver deals with lettuce compared to poppys??

bitter food and the liver I think it to be cleansing most of the time If I remember right like dandelion leaves and maybe to understand the pain reliever / anti inflmmatory food with lettuce it make sense to look into dandelions too
  • wharfrat likes this

#25 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

I know the really strong wold lettuce it is so bitter I dare you to eat more then one leaf it is prob a saftey feature of the plant not to eat too much

I do not know how the liver deals with lettuce compared to poppys??

bitter food and the liver I think it to be cleansing most of the time If I remember right like dandelion leaves and maybe to understand the pain reliever / anti inflmmatory food with lettuce it make sense to look into dandelions too

Liver is pretty effective at cleaning up opiates. Oral doses generally 2-3x higher than IM/IV/SC. Might be different for the ones without the classic 5-ring backbone (methadone et al). (which also explains some of the more peculiar routes of administration people have tried from time to time)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!