Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

New shelving unit lighting help (PLEASE)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

What's up my myco fam?!?! So yesterday was an exciting day bc the UPS man came by and dropped off the new metal wire shelving unit I had just bought so I can finally have more room to put my dub tubs and in turn being able to grow MORE! Bc who doesn't wanna grow more?? LoL.... Okay so my problem is, I'm not sure if every shelf is receiving sufficient light. As far as lighting goes I am using 6500k 60w equivalent bulbs. I can't seem to find ANYWHERE to clip on one of my metal dish clip on lights and i also can't really figure out how i should setup this additional 6500k fluorescent light i have laying around that i used to use for my seedling/propagation area for growing canna. I guess I'm trying to figure out if i even need those 2 additional lighting sources since as of now i have 3 of those bulbs plugged into a ceiling fan (which runs 24/7) and aimmed as best as possible towards the shelving unit... Okay first is the new shelving unit, followed by the bulbs in using, then a shot standing in front of the shelving unit looking up at fan/light fixture...

05a6c04f1f6bc82c88fc797f68848a2f.jpg
3d71f37d1866c03035ca5155fec96b9f.jpg
80a24a631f35baff94380af6de21cb38.jpg

So what do you guys think? Is more light needed than those 3 bulbs? Do you think i need to find a way to setup the additional lighting?? If y'all need anymore pics to get a better idea of what i got going on, please feel free to ask.

P. S.... So happy about new shelf space... A quick pic of the new unit next to what i was using before. I could only use the top 2 shelves of the wooden unit on the left...

d9201a8e0b9c382b110170197bc85db9.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#2 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

I think that will prolly do ya, I'm not sure where the fan is exactly in adjacent to the grow, but you might try placing a white moisture proof board on the top of the inside of the tubs to reflect light more from overhead.

The fan in the area is great to have slow moving air circulation.

P.S. I use to have tubs like that one on top of the other, not as many polyfil sites but regardless you should be fine.

Edited by Hash_Man, 05 January 2017 - 09:35 AM.

• Lazerus00 likes this

#3 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

I think that will prolly do ya, I'm not sure where the fan is exactly in adjacent to the grow, but you might try placing a white moisture proof board on the top of the inside of the tubs to reflect light more from overhead.

The fan in the area is great to have slow moving air circulation.

P.S. I use to have tubs like that one on top of the other, not as many polyfil sites but regardless you should be fine.

The fan is a ceiling fan, not sure if you could tell from the pics... If you knew that and are just wondering where it is in the room well.... If I'm standing right in front of the shelving unit the center of the fan is like 3-3.5ft away but the closest part is prolly like 8in....i don't think that helps much bc i got confused just writing it... LoL... Okay yea i guess I'll just hope it's enough... Do you know of any clear cut signs that the mushrooms or substrate show you when they are not receiving enough light?

• happy4nic8r likes this

#4 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Do you know of any clear cut signs that the mushrooms or substrate show you when they are not receiving enough light?

They might grow in a different direction, but I believe you'll be fine. Not enough air exchange with low humidity they'll be skinny and smallish.

a small amount of strains growth is effected by not enough light but generally not a issue as long as they have some.

Edit: I'd just try what you got there if your not happy try something else thats the fun of it to me

Edit#2 here in this thread is written by as good as a grower as anybody out there, just in the first post, you can understand and better feel the amount of concern light plays in a grow. https://mycotopia.ne...15-sandbag-tek/

Edited by Hash_Man, 05 January 2017 - 11:24 AM.

• Juthro, happy4nic8r and Lazerus00 like this

#5 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

With that fan running and all the polly sites you should be ok. You will have to wait and see and dial in from there.

I used vertical lighting behind my last greenhouse builds. I purchased 2 cheap 4' fluorescent fixtures and installed the left one so the top of the left one was about 1' above the top and the one in the right, the bottom of the fixture was mounted so that it bottom was even with the top of my shoebox tub.

This will give you over lap on your middle tiers but that is ok. The goal was to make sure that the bottom and top tier also received enough light.

When doing this you will notice your mushrooms will lay down for a few days growing towards the light but they will stand up.

Do you find yourself misting often?

Edited by Microbe77, 05 January 2017 - 11:25 AM.

• happy4nic8r and Lazerus00 like this

#6 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

careful cleaning those. even though they are stainless, they will rust if you use bleach or lysol. Even too wet will start them rusting.

Ill take a pic of mine and add it here. I got the mylar shelf cover plastic, its nice for drainage. They still rusted.

Edited by happy4nic8r, 05 January 2017 - 12:49 PM.

• Lazerus00 likes this

#7 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

With that fan running and all the polly sites you should be ok. You will have to wait and see and dial in from there.

I used vertical lighting behind my last greenhouse builds. I purchased 2 cheap 4' fluorescent fixtures and installed the left one so the top of the left one was about 1' above the top and the one in the right, the bottom of the fixture was mounted so that it bottom was even with the top of my shoebox tub.

This will give you over lap on your middle tiers but that is ok. The goal was to make sure that the bottom and top tier also received enough light.

When doing this you will notice your mushrooms will lay down for a few days growing towards the light but they will stand up.

Do you find yourself misting often?

No at most they need it once a day but lately not even that... I prolly don't need to fan that much either but still do that a few times a day

#8 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

careful leaning those. even though they are stainless, they will rust if you use bleach or lysol. Even too wet will start them rusting.

Ill take a pic of mine and add it here. I got the mylar shelf cover plastic, its nice for drainage. They still rusted.

I'll deff keep an eye out but this is not inside a greenhouse so i think they should be fine... Eh in the room itself is only like 30% but i have mini hygrometers inside the dub tubs and they all steady read between 80 and 95%

#9 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

careful cleaning those. even though they are stainless, they will rust if you use bleach or lysol. Even too wet will start them rusting.

Or try cleaning with D limonene
  • Lazerus00 likes this

#10 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Or try cleaning with D limonene
Never used that before but I've been meaning too... Do you buy something or make your own lemon cleaning extract?

#11 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

You should be able to find a product anywhere that sells Eco friendly cleaning stuff. . cheaper yet you can use olive oil that also had some antimicrobial properties, it's oil so will protect from rust if you feel that's going to be a prob
  • Microbe and Lazerus00 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!