• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nosferatu89

Nosferatu89

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Just a heads up, this tek originated from another member from this site years ago, although I cannot recall who,

over the years I have adapted it to fit my own needs and situations and found it to be easier and more effective my way.

I believe this tek will work for just about any grain with proper adjustment to cook times. So lets get started.

Supply List:

Pressure cooker

Grain of Choice(In this case Whole Grain Corn Bird Seed and Traditional Bird Seed.)(Popcorn works great too.)

Colander/Strainer

Long Handled Stir Spoon

Drainage Bag(Paint strainer, or Mesh Laundry Bag)

Jars of choice

Filters for jars(Micropore tape, tyvek, polyfil)

H20

Start by adding your grain(dry) to the bottom of your pressure cooker(also dry)

grain.jpg

Cover grain with several inches of water, the more the better.

Turn on heat to high.

Once steam is pouring out of vent add rocker weight to vent on PC.

Pressure cooker WBS at 10psi for about 30 mins, Popcorn/Kernel Corn/Rye for 45min at 15psi.

presto.jpg

Once time is up, allow pressure to drop and then carefully remove lid facing way from your face.

Pour water out into colander, careful not to overflow with your grain.

strainer.jpg

Now get your bathtub or sink water as HOT as it will go and add it to your grain in PC. Once grain is covered

by several inches of water stir well with your long handled spoon. Drain water again and repeat filling with hot water,

stir and strain multiple times until the water comes out clear or almost clear. It's important to use HOT water as otherwise

the starch from the grain will congeal and cause problems in the future with colonization.

After your grain water is coming out clear and the grain doesn't feel slimy to the touch it is time to add the mix to a mesh bag,

I would recommend a mesh laundry bag as they are more durable than paint strainers.

dripdry.jpg

Now hang your grain-filled mesh bag up somewhere to air dry, if you have your own backyard you can hang it from a tree as the

wind will speed up this process but hanging it from your curtain rob in your tub works just fine as well..

After sitting overnight the grain should feel mostly dry to the touch and might even start sticking to other pieces of grain.

Now you can carefully pour the grain from the netbag into large bowls and start filling your jars about 3/4 full.

I recommended punching 2 holes in your jar lids and covering each hole with micropore tape and then covering the lids with aluminum foil.

mptAPE.jpg

Put old jar bands in the bottom of your pc or a rack or a folded up towel to keep the jars from touching the bottom of the P.C. during cooking.

Don't worry if a little bit of water is touching the jars.

Add the lid to the P.C. and put your burner on high.  Once steam is pouring out the tops of the jars, add your rocker weight.

Keep the heat on high until your PC gauge hits 15p.s.i. and then turn the heat down to your sweet spot to keep it at 15psi. (Usually between medium and low.)

Pressure cook the jars at 15p.s.i. for 60-90 minutes and when the timer beeps turn off the heat to the stove.

Let the pressure dissipate slowly, don't rush it.  Once the safety pin drops you can remove the rocker weight and let the P.C. cool for about 30 mins before

opening the lid, once again careful to open it away from your face as the steam inside can scald you.

Using oven mits carefully remove the jars one by one and tighten the lids before shaking the jars to evenly spread the moisture in the jars throughout evenly.

After all have been shaken and lids tightened return them all to the pressure cooker and allow the jars to cool overnight, leave the foil ontop of the lids to cover

the filter holes.

When you're ready for inoculation burn the tip of the needle until it is red hot and then cool with a paper towel soaked in alcohol.

One by one remove the foil from the jar lids and wipe the tape covered holes with alcohol and then the needle before injecting 5-10 units of spore solution to each jar, immediately cover the holes with a second layer of micropore tape(I like to have a piece already started next to the hole so as I am removing the needle I can immediately cover the hole as i'm pulling the needle out.)

Systematically repeat this process until all jars are inoculated and then write the strain name on the micropore tape on each jar lid.

I have had nearly 100% success with this technique the most important things are that your spore solution is not contaminated, your grain is not too wet and that you have allowed your prepared spawn to air dry properly before adding to jars, the shaking after pressure cooking is important too as alot of water likes to come out of the grain during PC'ing.

My favorite grain mix at the moment is 80% Whole Kernel Corn(Not Popcorn), and 20% WBS(Red Milot, Millet, Sunflower Seeds) the Corn colonizes super fast whole the WBS fills the gaps in the large kernels making more mycelium spawn then just pure corn would.

Please feel free to ask any question you may have!

• MLBjammer and mjroom like this

#2 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

Quote: "the shaking after pressure cooking is important too as a lot of water likes to come out of the grain during PC'ing."

so when you shake the jar where does the water go to? Are you simply re distributing the fluid evenly across the jar? Can you comment on the practice of a layer of vermiculite on the bottom and the top of the jar?This acts as a moisture buffer and it also helps filter out contaminants at the top of the jar and prevents them from getting to the grain. Thanks. Good write up by the way clear and easy to understand. mjroom.

• MLBjammer likes this

#3 Nosferatu89

Nosferatu89

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

Quote: "the shaking after pressure cooking is important too as a lot of water likes to come out of the grain during PC'ing."

so when you shake the jar where does the water go to? Are you simply re distributing the fluid evenly across the jar? Can you comment on the practice of a layer of vermiculite on the bottom and the top of the jar?This acts as a moisture buffer and it also helps filter out contaminants at the top of the jar and prevents them from getting to the grain. Thanks. Good write up by the way clear and easy to understand. mjroom.

yes, it more evenly distributes the water throughout the grain/jar.  I would not add, vermiculite to the jars because this just leads to a mess and the micropore tape is your contaminate barrier. Another idea if you are having trouble with too much moisture in the jars is adding a tiny layer of dry grain to the bottom of your jars before adding your hydrated grain to absorb excess moisture, I just can't recommend vermiculite in a grain jar.

• MLBjammer and Cigarsam like this

#4 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

SWIM swears by: 1 quart jar (or bag) w/lid with SHIP, and filter disc for FAE, to which add 1cup dry whole oats (or rye) , and 2/3 fluid cup H2O> Cover lid with aluminum foil > PC for 90min @ 15PSI. Let PC 'depressurization' of PC naturely, shake jars when able.
  • MLBjammer, Hash_Man and archersmark like this

#5 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Donator

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

In a quart jar I combine 200grams rye grain and 220mL water.

PC for 1 hour.

Allow the PC to cool off. 

Wait till the PC equilibrates pressure wise.  Wait a little more until the jars are not scalding hot.

GIve them a good shake to evenly distribute the wetter grains with the drier grains while it's still warm.  If you let it cool off completely before doing this you may get a wet layer of grain stuck to the bottom of the jar.

Let stand overnight and you will have water evenly distributed throughout your grain.

No muss, no fuss.  No soaking, washing, draining, cooking, cleaning, and the whole process only requires 220mL water per jar plus the small layer of water in your PC.

• MLBjammer and archersmark like this

#6 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

PC for 1 hour.

Wait till the PC equilibrates pressure wise.  Wait a little more until the jars are not scalding hot.

GIve them a good shake to evenly distribute the wetter grains with the drier grains while it's still warm.  If you let it cool off completely before doing this you may get a wet layer of grain stuck to the bottom of the jar.

Let stand overnight and you will have water evenly distributed throughout your grain.

No muss, no fuss.  No soaking, washing, draining, cooking, cleaning, and the whole process only requires 220mL water per jar plus the small layer of water in your PC.

are you using whole rye grain? have you ever tried this with whole oats?

#7 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,359 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:12 AM

yes, it more evenly distributes the water throughout the grain/jar.  I would not add, vermiculite to the jars because this just leads to a mess and the micropore tape is your contaminate barrier. Another idea if you are having trouble with too much moisture in the jars is adding a tiny layer of dry grain to the bottom of your jars before adding your hydrated grain to absorb excess moisture, I just can't recommend vermiculite in a grain jar.

Nice write-up, man.  I have had a little dry vermiculite save many a popcorn jar in my day, but the dry grain would work to the same effect and would be a lot less messy.  And if you want to milk mycelium from grain jars, you definitely do not want vermiculite clogging your syringe.

I use the same formula for oats as Jeepster, except I have reduced the water to 1/2 cup (to one cup of whole oats--or you could use rye berries, as Jeepster said) instead of 2/3.

#8 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,182 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Cover lid with aluminum foil > PC for 90min @ 15PSI. Let PC 'depressurization' of PC naturely, shake jars when able

All you guys having trouble from the water seeping out of your grain, I agree with Jeepster to let your cooker to depressurized naturally and go a step further and let temperature reduce naturally also, when inside and outside of the jars are close to the same temp it reduces condensation and water won't seep out of your grain.

Edited by Hash_Man, 06 January 2017 - 08:36 AM.

• Jeepster and Nosferatu89 like this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,523 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

Honestly I don't think that it matters how long you wait to shake in "no prep" tek (within reason) IME. For the 2-3 months I used no prep, I waited a full 24hrs before shaking no problems. I suspect that the exception is popcorn.

@nosferatu89 Good work man. I do think a 60-90min steep and then dry is easier but different strokes right? Thanks for contributing. Love your avatar and name btw.

nosferatu-fantome-de-la-nuit.jpg

• Jeepster likes this

#10 Nosferatu89

Nosferatu89

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the responses guys!  I have tried the dry grain w/ water added to jar tek before pc'ing and have

had issues with the bottom layer of grain becoming too wet or sticky, slowing down the colonization and or

causing bacterial contams.  This is with WBS though, maybe not be an issue with large grains like Rye.

But definitely different strokes for different folks.

Shaking the jars after PC'ing while they're still warm/hot works best for me. As in my experience this leads to better

individual separation of grain pieces.

This is the beauty of this hobby though, there are so many different ways to do things and still get success.

• Hash_Man, mjroom and orangutan like this

#11 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

PC for 1 hour.

This is really similar to the Penn State grain spawn prep recipe which is :

1000 ml Flasks
250 ml beaker level full of rye grain
2 tsp. Calcium Carbonate, powder (lime)
1 tsp. Calcium Sulfate (gypsum)
220 ml warm water

I've had mixed success with this, most likely due to me using sluggish strains.  I've always wondered if the lime and gypsum weren't a bit much, but I'm going to try your approach (sans lime and gypsum) with a strong colonizer and see how it works out.  You got it right, no mess no fuss

http://plantpath.psu...awn-preparation

Edited by archersmark, 06 January 2017 - 03:16 PM.

• Hash_Man and orangutan like this

#12 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

For those of you (like me) who don't have a weigh scale from Stamets & Chilton "The Mushroom cultivator" Spawn Formula  (page46) easy instructions are for quart or litre jars 1 cup rye grain and 2/3 - 3/4 cup of water.

Edited by mjroom, 06 January 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#13 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

no text.

Edited by mjroom, 07 January 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#14 Nosferatu89

Nosferatu89

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Another reason I like to prep my grain this way is I am able to wash all that damn starch off the corn. Once again, probably not much of an issue with other grains but corn has so much starch after cooked that turns into crack cocaine for bacteria.

Like one of you mentioned some times you get some moisture that comes out of your grains after PC'ing, best thing to do is make sure your grains are dry to the touch on the outside before adding to the jars and a nice shaking of the jars after PC'ing helps to redistribute some of that water, haven't had much of a problem with it now that I let my grain air dry well before adding to jars, once again a tiny single layer of dry grain in the bottoms of the jars could help with this.

• MLBjammer likes this

#15 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

Last evening I decided to see how long it would take to pre soak grain prior to PCing. I started at about 9pm. I uses two flat bottomed plastic containers about 4.5" square at the bottom with lids so my 1/2 cup each of rye and oats would form a fairly thin layer on the bottom and poured in 1/4 cup water in each. 12 hours later the rye had sucked up all the water and the oats just a very small quantity was still in the container (some drops) when I loaded the grains into jars to pressure cook. I have the jars in the PC now for a 90 minute cook. The hope is that the presoak will do two things, firstly better distribute the water through the grain and secondly eliminate or minimize exploding grain during the PC cook so the grains do not clump and stick together but remain individual and separate. Will report back after the PC has done and cooled enough to open and inspect. mjroom.

How they turned out:  well the grains came out of a 90 minute PC cook and both the Rye and the oats are absolutely perfect individual grains no sign of even one grain exploding 20seconds of tapping the jar on the heel of my hand and all the grains are loose. The Jar of rye did not expand in volume as much as the four I did the first time with no pre soak and the exact same quantities of grain and water. I consider this a 100% success and this is now my tried and true grain method. Very much pleased. mjroom.

Edited by mjroom, 11 January 2017 - 02:17 PM.

• Nosferatu89 likes this

#16 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,359 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

I think that should work out. The only thing you might want to be cautious about is that sometimes the grain will sprout if you leave it wet and unsterilized too long (I know oats will for sure).

Let us know how it comes out.

#17 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

see comments on the results in post #16 above. mjroom.

• MLBjammer likes this

#18 Nosferatu89

Nosferatu89

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

Last evening I decided to see how long it would take to pre soak grain prior to PCing. I started at about 9pm. I uses two flat bottomed plastic containers about 4.5" square at the bottom with lids so my 1/2 cup each of rye and oats would form a fairly thin layer on the bottom and poured in 1/4 cup water in each. 12 hours later the rye had sucked up all the water and the oats just a very small quantity was still in the container (some drops) when I loaded the grains into jars to pressure cook. I have the jars in the PC now for a 90 minute cook. The hope is that the presoak will do two things, firstly better distribute the water through the grain and secondly eliminate or minimize exploding grain during the PC cook so the grains do not clump and stick together but remain individual and separate. Will report back after the PC has done and cooled enough to open and inspect. mjroom.

How they turned out:  well the grains came out of a 90 minute PC cook and both the Rye and the oats are absolutely perfect individual grains no sign of even one grain exploding 20seconds of tapping the jar on the heel of my hand and all the grains are loose. The Jar of rye did not expand in volume as much as the four I did the first time with no pre soak and the exact same quantities of grain and water. I consider this a 100% success and this is now my tried and true grain method. Very much pleased. mjroom.

Great job mjroom. Ty for sharing your experiment with us, this is the shit I like. :meditate:

Edited by Nosferatu89, 13 January 2017 - 12:18 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#19 Nosferatu89

Nosferatu89

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

How are these jars doing?

• MLBjammer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!