5 replies to this topic

#1 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,442 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hey brothers and sisters. The fungal kingdom has enhanced our lives (some would argue made life possible) in so many ways there is just no way to keep it all inside. So I invite you take a walk with me in the early autumn forest, if you care to. I will show you some, it was actually like this for multiple flushes all the way to freeze up, of the amazing grifola frondosa a.k.a. maitake, sheepshead, hen-of-the-woods that offered themselves for this fungi lover in 2016.

small_GEDC8857.jpg

This tree produced no less than 18 individual heads.....I'm getting too old to carry the old mushroom hunting sack

small_GEDC8863.jpg

Zoom in on part of the growth first tree (for lack of reference)

small_GEDC8822.jpg

This one grows on an ancient oak that gets hit by lightning pretty regularly.

small_GEDC8913.jpg

OMG my mouth is watering just putting this post together

small_GEDC8921.jpg

I started to learn how to find these when I was 4 years old.....Thanks Grandpa and Dad!

small_GEDC8926.jpg

This particular scene only partially captured the deep feeling created. It's right on the edge of very steep hillside this old fart just climbed.....at the top JOY

small_GEDC8928.jpg

One after another, after another, after another..........by the gods! 

small_GEDC8866.jpg

Sheephead is a woodlover too. It brings me great joy, invokes many years of memories, and tastes phenomenal!

Everyone knows Arathu is a woodlover....and he can't help it. The old mushroom wizard still haunting the forests and river bottoms.

A bit slower each year, hopefully gaining in wisdom, and almost always finding fungi and a full belly.

Hail the dwarves!

I decided to take on an apprentice this year for various reasons (some day not too far off I wont be able to do this any more, at least not in the capacity I do now).............and he LOVES this stuff too.

Thanks for coming along............... Enjoy

A

Edited by Arathu, 08 January 2017 - 10:12 AM.

• Myc, coorsmikey, kcmoxtractor and 6 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,776 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Yummmmmmmm

#3 HankoDelicious

HankoDelicious

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:42 AM

Ammmaaaazzzziiiinnng!!! 

Maitake costs a FORTUNE where I live and all to find is the ones cultivated in China and imported to us. 

I find it so beautiful to see cultivated mushrooms growing wild, stunning! :) 

• Arathu likes this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,442 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Thank you Hank I'm glad you enjoyed the photo's. I am blessed beyond measure to be living where I do. My new foraging partner, I'm teaching him what I know, and I are expanding our search area this coming year. We made multiple trips into the forest this fall picking a very similar amount of these each time we went. Consider that we never pick more than half of what is out there. We gathered close to 150 lbs / 68 kilos this season. 

Skye..........yummy is an understatement........ :biggrin: Someday I hope to share them directly...................... you never know............. :cool:

Edited by Arathu, 09 January 2017 - 09:50 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#5 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,761 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

this was our worst year for maitake i can remember, it never rained in late october or

november.  :sad: we only found two, and hit all of the usual spots. the one we found was 

dry as hell, so we just dried and ground it to use as seasoning for Hungarian mushroom

soup and griffie stroganoff. they are one of my favorite mushrooms to rehydrate, and 

the leftover liquid after you reconstitute them is GOLD! lol, sorry, i get excited about

griffie broth. 

2016-10-30 19.38.28.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,442 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

Bummer! That one was struggling for moisture for sure.............weather is crazy any more. Another reason I want them on my property, so I can add my hands and collected rain into the process. 

A

• kcmoxtractor likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!