24 replies to this topic

#21 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

Ranch:
Ranch tends to be more compact and upright. Shorter plants make for easier harvesting, and this plant might be good fit for a “You Pick” operation. Tolerates marginal or less fertile soilshttp://normsfarms.co...berry-cuttings/
attachicon.gifIMG_4626.JPG

Cuttings soaked in water and dipped in rooting hormone before plantedIMG_4688.JPG IMG_4696.JPG

#22 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:11 AM

Adams:
Adams. This variety ripens early and produces large clusters of purplish/black berries. This robust cultivar produces sweet berries and large yields. Adams was originally collected as an old cultivar from New York.http://normsfarms.co...berry-cuttings/attachicon.gifIMG_4623.JPG

Cuttings dipped in rooting hormone after being soaked in waterIMG_4698.JPG IMG_4700.JPG

#23 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

'Haschberg
Also described as German but mostly described as the European elderberry.
Haschberg is a variety of black European elder, especially popular in commercial orchards in Austria and Germany. It produces abundant and large clusters of dark purple berries, and grows to about 8 feet tall.
European black elderberries are the most sought-after and productive elder species because they have been selected for heavy yields and tolerance of temperatures well below 0°F. If you buy elderberries or elderberry tincture in the store, you are most likely looking at a variety of European black elder, Sambucus nigra. This species is partly self-fertile, so doesn't require cross pollination, but the yields will be heavier with a second variety planted near by.
attachicon.gifIMG_4617.JPG

Had some pest problems on these cuttings but got this from a local Gardner
Cut back the damaged and letting re growIMG_4679.JPG

The mother was out all winter. Hard to see but it's sending new growth up from the soil by the base of the stem.

IMG_4677.JPG

#24 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

Goldbeere
The only golden-berried elderberry, 'Goldbeere' was developed by German growers, a group that doesn't mess around when it comes to plant breeding. Shrub is more upright than other European cultivars and very productive. Since this is a nigra selection, you need to process the berries to make them edible, either by cooking or wine-making. Fabulous with the native Scuppernong grape in jams or jellies. And if you're looking for golden berries for flower arrangements in mid-summer, these branches are unsurpassed in mixed bouquets
(At this time I may not have a live plant as I am waiting till spring to see if last years plant survives the winter )

No signs of life ATM

#25 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Awesome!....................... I used to pick for the old guy up the road when I was a kid (now I'm the old guy up the road) and he'd let me taste the wine............... :biggrin:

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!