• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

It's been about 4 weeks since I seen full colonization in jar and birthed I have since then commenced to a second flush on some but there's a handful that never fruited is this normal or should I trash em?

is you SEARZ?

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,420 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

I would dunk the cakes and see if they will put out any fruits, as long as they look healthy; otherwise, I would toss them out.

#3 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

I'd hate to get rid of them I think they still look healthy lemme put up a pick...maybe it's not to late to crumble and bulk

is you SEARZ?

#4 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

492cd5fde2e18b9b94fe57628fa1d458.jpg

is you SEARZ?

#5 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

Can anyone explain the white tips??????5a1c35fe73bab2166a201f2c579cad62.jpg

is you SEARZ?
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 9,776 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Can anyone explain the white tips??????5a1c35fe73bab2166a201f2c579cad62.jpg

is you SEARZ?

It's just mycelium. Relax, you got this. :biggrin:

• Arathu and Dilatedpupils like this

#7 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

:) that kat this is such a patient requiring hobby lol

is you SEARZ?
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,233 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Thou shalt learn patience to the extreme.....submit now and release all notions of impatience........................wood is measured in years.......... :biggrin:

In the past, if I must meddle (while I usually did and not for the better) then I ask the stubborn one directly.......like make a slice in one or isolate, or temp change, or stash and forget.........?????

You are not alone in the quest to understand.................

Edited by Arathu, 10 January 2017 - 12:28 PM.

• Microbe, CatsAndBats, peacefrog and 2 others like this

#9 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,712 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

You will notice how those pin heads arise from not vermiculite but from mycelium masses No? That should tell you forget having that around except for planting mixes an whatnot. Waste of time and classic misdirection.  My life says somebody says NO
to that right away, but you have pictures!!

Are you saying vermiculite has no usefulness in mushroom cultivation? Or did I read that wrong?
  • MLBjammer and Dilatedpupils like this

#10 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,420 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

Vermiculite is by far the best water reservoir in this hobby.  It is great for mixing into subs, using as a casing material, and making PF cakes.

You can grow a pretty nice crop with nothing but grain and vermiculite.

So it's definitely not a waste of time.

• peacefrog likes this

#11 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,712 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Vermiculite is by far the best water reservoir in this hobby.  It is great for mixing into subs, using as a casing material, and making PF cakes.

You can grow a pretty nice crop with nothing but grain and vermiculite.

So it's definitely not a waste of time.

Well said, my friend.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#12 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

They are growing rather slowly so i tend to mist them once a day and fan them for about 30 seconds .... the temp on them cakes are 69-73 degrees with a humidity that my reader tells at 99% with consistency.... that being said boys and girls this is my very very first grow and I have to tell you that crumbling two cakes and mixing them in Coir (although I got some contamination ) has yield more, and very massive mushies....this being said all my other grows will be bulk

is you SEARZ?

#13 Newmusher

Newmusher

New

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Once a day is generally not nearly enough. Personally, i would increase that to 4-5 times a day. I used to do it when i woke up, and every 4 hours til i went to sleep.
  • CatsAndBats and Dilatedpupils like this

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 9,776 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

You will notice how those pin heads arise from not vermiculite but from mycelium masses No? That should tell you forget having that around except for planting mixes an whatnot. Waste of time and classic misdirection. My life says somebody says NO
to that right away, but you have pictures!!

Hell, when I fruit a cake I'll put it in a tupperware with moist vermiculite which is a double end casing on steroids. I've removed the cake and the colonized vermiculite has fruited!

There is empirical visual evidence on this site that support our claims.

#15 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Once a day is generally not nearly enough. Personally, i would increase that to 4-5 times a day. I used to do it when i woke up, and every 4 hours til i went to sleep.

Wait the mist down or the fanning?

is you SEARZ?

#16 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

I fan just enough to exchange the air in the chamber, while misting above to add humidity, vapor, not water drops, to the air.

Too much fanning will lower humidity drastically and dry out the grow.

• Dilatedpupils likes this

#17 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

I dont know if its a good idea to have the air pump inside of the fruiting chamber, personaly i have both of mine outside of the fruiting chamber so they arent circulating the same CO2 ridden air

1b99c675f282d29b20528d14fd497beb.jpg

Be sure to change stock filter on pump.
Over time it will get the nasties and could potentialy muddle up future grows

#18 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,712 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:23 AM

missed something...don't need it. waste of time...whatnot  could mean anything. crumble cakes into a tray or us it as spawn . now  vermiculite can be used
as a casing or just about anything.  DO NOT NEED.  Why  use cakes when trays are so much better and you can get by without it? Besides there are all kinds of mixes
with vermiculite in it. why reinvent the wheel?

Wut?

If I am understanding you correctly, you just dislike cakes correct? If so, that's perfectly okay and you are entitled to your opinion. Yes there are many ways to cultivate but bashing a very sound and tried and true method is not good advice IMO. Cakes can be a very valuable for several reasons. They are an easy way for a first time cultivator to learn the life cycle of the mushroom, they can be used without the grower owning a PC, they are much more forgiving than grain, are probably the most nutritious pound for pound sub out there, the list goes on and on. There is a reason why BRF cakes are still used since PF invented them in the 90's, they are versatile and work well. Some cake growers have routinely produced VERY impressive yeilds from simple BRF cakes.

Who is reinventing the wheel? You mean rolling a cake in verm.? How is that reinventing the wheel? Dunk and roll has been a part of cake growing for a while now and while not necessary, can definitely help with water retention, act as casing etc.

Again, you are entitled to having and sharing your opinions here, but please stop telling new growers that cakes are not good, useless or whatever. That's just wrong and bad advice IMO.
  • MLBjammer and DocOct like this

#19 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:01 AM

GET'EM PEACEFROG!!! Cakes are the shit, i grow them now when i actualy want to have fun with my grow, plus with MS genetics who know what kind of wacky fruits you might get!

• CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 9,776 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

I found the p.f method abit boring. I tried it once and wasnt happy with it. I went straight to rye.

Boring? Watching a PF tek jar grow is just as exciting as watching a bulk tub grow.

I found the p.f method abit boring. I tried it once and wasnt happy with it. I went straight to rye.

IMO its just more work than its worth.

Didn't you mention that you're lazy?

"pf is not worth the bother..." Cue

Is anything in this hobby worth the "bother" ?

:)

Is anything really worth "the bother"?

I started with the PF method I didn't have a PC then.  Now I got a PC and do PF for prints.

I like bulk too.  I understand people who prefer bulk over PF.

PF was a huge breakthrough for home growers when it came out. Professor PF did a lot for the mushroom community.

Exactly. In fact there's a strong argument that none of us would be doing any of this if it weren't for PF tek. 

It's invention brought us to where we are and is still instrumental in showing the budding hobbyist how a mycelium colony functions. If you are a seasoned grower that hasn't grown a cake/s, I implore you to grow some. At worst you can't use a jelly jar for a month, at best you may just learn something.

It allows the home mycologist/psychonaut to grow just what they need to expand their minds in a safe, stealthy, and virtually foolproof fashion. Imagine how many countless minds that have become enlightened by the fruits from a personal grow that only took up one half of a shelf in a closet (if that).

Trashing the PF cake tek is reminiscent of a wine snob looking down on someone for drinking the "wrong" wine IMHO.

If one is unhappy with one's PF cake efforts, maybe one should challenge oneself to improve their results.

A couple of these are shroomery a couple of these are topia (one is from a grower that already commented on this thread):

attachicon.gifpfTek.jpg

attachicon.gifpftek2.jpg

attachicon.gifpftekCoir.jpg

attachicon.gifpftek4.jpg

Plus H3's supercake formula (eatyu's grow):

post-5996-138186733642.jpg

found here:

https://mycotopia.ne...cake-supercake/

end catRant.

Here's an old post of why cakes are great ^^^

• Newmusher and peacefrog like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!