• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 DocOct

DocOct

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

I dont know if its a good idea to have the air pump inside of the fruiting chamber, personaly i have both of mine outside of the fruiting chamber so they arent circulating the same CO2 ridden air

1b99c675f282d29b20528d14fd497beb.jpg

Be sure to change stock filter on pump.
Over time it will get the nasties and could potentialy muddle up future grows

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

#22 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:23 AM

missed something...don't need it. waste of time...whatnot  could mean anything. crumble cakes into a tray or us it as spawn . now  vermiculite can be used
as a casing or just about anything.  DO NOT NEED.  Why  use cakes when trays are so much better and you can get by without it? Besides there are all kinds of mixes
with vermiculite in it. why reinvent the wheel?

Wut?

If I am understanding you correctly, you just dislike cakes correct? If so, that's perfectly okay and you are entitled to your opinion. Yes there are many ways to cultivate but bashing a very sound and tried and true method is not good advice IMO. Cakes can be a very valuable for several reasons. They are an easy way for a first time cultivator to learn the life cycle of the mushroom, they can be used without the grower owning a PC, they are much more forgiving than grain, are probably the most nutritious pound for pound sub out there, the list goes on and on. There is a reason why BRF cakes are still used since PF invented them in the 90's, they are versatile and work well. Some cake growers have routinely produced VERY impressive yeilds from simple BRF cakes.

Who is reinventing the wheel? You mean rolling a cake in verm.? How is that reinventing the wheel? Dunk and roll has been a part of cake growing for a while now and while not necessary, can definitely help with water retention, act as casing etc.

Again, you are entitled to having and sharing your opinions here, but please stop telling new growers that cakes are not good, useless or whatever. That's just wrong and bad advice IMO.
  • MLBjammer and DocOct like this

#23 DocOct

DocOct

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:01 AM

GET'EM PEACEFROG!!! Cakes are the shit, i grow them now when i actualy want to have fun with my grow, plus with MS genetics who know what kind of wacky fruits you might get!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
  • CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#24 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

I found the p.f method abit boring. I tried it once and wasnt happy with it. I went straight to rye.

Boring? Watching a PF tek jar grow is just as exciting as watching a bulk tub grow.

I found the p.f method abit boring. I tried it once and wasnt happy with it. I went straight to rye.

IMO its just more work than its worth.

Didn't you mention that you're lazy?

"pf is not worth the bother..." Cue

Is anything in this hobby worth the "bother" ?

:)

Is anything really worth "the bother"?

I started with the PF method I didn't have a PC then.  Now I got a PC and do PF for prints.

I like bulk too.  I understand people who prefer bulk over PF.

PF was a huge breakthrough for home growers when it came out. Professor PF did a lot for the mushroom community.

Exactly. In fact there's a strong argument that none of us would be doing any of this if it weren't for PF tek. 

It's invention brought us to where we are and is still instrumental in showing the budding hobbyist how a mycelium colony functions. If you are a seasoned grower that hasn't grown a cake/s, I implore you to grow some. At worst you can't use a jelly jar for a month, at best you may just learn something.

It allows the home mycologist/psychonaut to grow just what they need to expand their minds in a safe, stealthy, and virtually foolproof fashion. Imagine how many countless minds that have become enlightened by the fruits from a personal grow that only took up one half of a shelf in a closet (if that).

Trashing the PF cake tek is reminiscent of a wine snob looking down on someone for drinking the "wrong" wine IMHO.

If one is unhappy with one's PF cake efforts, maybe one should challenge oneself to improve their results.

A couple of these are shroomery a couple of these are topia (one is from a grower that already commented on this thread):

attachicon.gifpfTek.jpg

attachicon.gifpftek2.jpg

attachicon.gifpftekCoir.jpg

attachicon.gifpftek4.jpg

Plus H3's supercake formula (eatyu's grow):

post-5996-138186733642.jpg

found here:

https://mycotopia.ne...cake-supercake/

end catRant.

Here's an old post of why cakes are great ^^^

• Newmusher and peacefrog like this

#25 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

I mean if I had verm I would have probably dunked just because everyone's advice but I worked with what I got and I'm happy :) I just spray the heck outta them and question: WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT DUNKING IN COLD WATER FOR 24 HOURS EVEN BEFORE THE FIRST FLUSH? To dunk or not to dunk?

is you SEARZ?

#26 DocOct

DocOct

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Always dunk!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes the first flush so much better

• CatsAndBats and Dilatedpupils like this

#27 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT DUNKING IN COLD WATER FOR 24 HOURS EVEN BEFORE THE FIRST FLUSH? To dunk or not to dunk?

is you SEARZ?

I'm a big fan. The mycelial colony pulls a lot of water from the cake during colonization, replacing it for the future fruit bodies is very wise. The 24hr cold dunk is the perfect amount of time and the cold water inhibits bacterial growth (cold shocking to force fruits is outdated thinking IMHO).

Use gloves, be mindful of germs and you'll be good! Go cakes!

• MLBjammer, peacefrog and Dilatedpupils like this

#28 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

I noticed in my current grow that I had absolutely nothing coming from out of the cakes two weeks after birthing and then decided to throw them in a 24 cold water punishment for their unproductive behavior long and behold 4 days later little pins everywhere on all of them coincidental? I think not!

is you SEARZ?
  • CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#29 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

Don't punish them, foster and care for them! They know, trust me. :tinfoil:

• Arathu, peacefrog, Dilatedpupils and 1 other like this

#30 DocOct

DocOct

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

they watch you just as you watch them :ph34r:

• CatsAndBats, peacefrog and Dilatedpupils like this

#31 panaho

panaho

Keyboard Krusader

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

No bashing at all ...Just pointing out that it is much easier to go with grains and a pc  and some dung .  NO jars , no perlite, no vermiculite , no fans, no nothing!!  Why take so many steps and not hardly even get there?

#32 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

Understood, it just has seemed that you have posted a few times in different threads, where you come across as saying "don't do cakes, do it this way, cakes are bad bulk is the only way". Which of course is a valid opinion, but I read some of those posts as you were telling people they are doing it the wrong way because it's not the way you prefer. Thus my comment of bad and wrong advice. Some very great and seasoned cultivators grow cakes exclusively, and that's perfectly fine. Some, like me, didn't start with cakes and use whole grain exclusively. There is no right or wrong way IMO. But I promise you this, I wish I had started with cakes when I was a newb after throwing away dozens of bacterial grain jars and frustratedly starting over until I got the hang of the moisture content, sterile tek, etc. But that's just me.

NO jars , no perlite, no vermiculite , no fans, no nothing!!

So do you use bags or pp5 containers in place of jars for spawn?

No bashing at all ...Just pointing out that it is much easier to go with grains and a pc  and some dung .  Why take so many steps and not hardly even get there?

There are more steps in the way you are talking about.
1 Prepare grain for sterilization (Prep or no prep)
2 Sterilize grain
3 Inoculate grain
4 Prepare dung
5 Pasteurize or sterilize dung
6 Spawn
7 Colonize
8 Fruit

Cakes:
1 Prepare
2 Sterilize
3 Inoculate
4 Fruit

No one will argue the fact that one can take 1 jar of colonized grain or 1 cake and exponentially multiply the amount of fruit on bulk verses fruiting cake style. However, for some people, cakes are perfect for them. I.e. they don't want to bother with the added steps, it fits their style of growing, stealth, don't need that much for personal use, just love cakes in general, etc.

And yes verm is not required for some dung. But some poo tends to get very muddy and matted after brought to feild capicity. Even the h-poo I use can get muddy in sections. This is why verm helps so much as well as providing for even better moisture retention. Not required, but highly recommended.
  • MLBjammer, coorsmikey, Arathu and 2 others like this

#33 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

Update, they've been doing great just thought I'd drop a picture for peeping eyes one of them is kind of blue from a little rough handling

6148af1c641a0c7129e7a0ec8752db4b.jpg

is you SEARZ?
  • Newmusher and DocOct like this

#34 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

d9f27e5055a80598402d372b4c7eb62f.jpg

is you SEARZ?

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,797 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

I think the fungi are laughing at us silly humans.................. :biggrin:

There are so many ways to get this done. Some folks are cakes, others bulk in trays, tubs, bags, and etc.etc, and some will press inoculated substrate into dense pucks inside whatever containers are available. Some just do invitro and others build massive beds outside..................many combinations of the above work too. Find a technique that works for you AND the fungi.....and build upon it. It would  be kinda tough to argue with the last photo here................ :wub:

PF tech is brilliant, an excellent introduction to the hobby, and skill set enhancing............and I've seen it produce beyond expectations. Nice job!

A

• coorsmikey, CatsAndBats, Dilatedpupils and 1 other like this

#36 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,279 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

The PF Tek is arguably the most important development in mycology in the last 25 years.  It completely democratizes cultivation so that almost anyone can grow a crop with just a little bit of information--and that is revolutionary. 

• coorsmikey, Arathu, Dilatedpupils and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!