• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mycolangelo.4HO

mycolangelo.4HO

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:59 PM

So I did a couple too many dabs and then went into my closet where I had all my equipment set up and the flow hood running. Normally I do a 1:1 ratio with pans or mexicanas just to speed things up. Anyhow I forgot I was planning on doing the one jar instead of two, I had a jar of pan cambos sandoz sitting around and accidentally mixed the two. I realized right after, but then figured what the hell I've seen someone do cubes and pans, I'm just wondering if the pan cambos will just outrun the jalisco and start fruiting faster. I made a tray two days ago and it should be ready to be cased in a day or two, they fruit so much quicker too, I love em. Anyways any thoughts are much appreciated, I'm all good with sacrificing this tub (in the name of of my stupidity), and sheer curiosity.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
  • orangutan and Lazerus00 like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,148 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

This is not the first time I have heard of this. But it still interests the heck out of me. Please document and update this thread to the end for the sake of education and entertainment. My money is on the Pans fruiting first and the Jalisco taking over at the end.
  • mycolangelo.4HO, orangutan and Lazerus00 like this

#3 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Donator

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

yes please keep a record of this!

#4 mycolangelo.4HO

mycolangelo.4HO

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Yea I thought the cambos would just go rampant, that would be pretty cool to see some stones in there or any jalisco pins, but they take much longer. The chicon nindo is pretty badass they are doing much better than my jalisco trays were, I'll have to get some pics later. And definitely count on me following through with this

• Lazerus00 likes this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,828 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

Sweet!

#6 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

I actually am following someone in IG that just recently did this. He made a big bucket or something an mixed something like Golden Teachers with Albino A+s....here are some pics from his feed. Pics aren't that great but ya get the idea....

1150157e4910e47554d7ef3a2a047269.jpg
490acdcce7303f7c6b8c1bc6676f1cbb.jpg
6d56cb2c795e2481eb0fa8d0daafffd8.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
  • Microbe and panaho like this

#7 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

Same species, different strains.  Both are Psilocybe Cubensis.

• peacefrog likes this

#8 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

Same species, different strains. Both are Psilocybe Cubensis.

Ohhhh lol, I'm stoned... Didn't realize y'all that part of it....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
  • MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#9 mycolangelo.4HO

mycolangelo.4HO

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

That's interesting though. I know I saw someone do some sort of pans and I think b+, I made a couple 6qt trays 2&3 days ago(did a few on one day and a couple the next), and they should be ready to case, they're so fast it's insane. I'm just hoping they'll fruit in a condition similar to mexicana, but the chicon nindo is going crazy can't wait to get home and check it out. Does anyone think the pans will outrun the mexicana and maybe just leave a few pockets of sclerotia? Their material networks will not fuse right? They'll basically just be in competition right?

• Lazerus00 likes this

#10 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

The more dominant culture will take the substrate. If your lucky the two strains might clamp and hybridization could happen. Even if hybridization happens, the newly formed culture could exhibit phenotypes of only 1 parent therfore micrscopy would be demanded here.

Get ahold of a muscle relaxer containing colchicine and extract it. Take this extraction and place it at the point where the strains may intersect if you can tell the cultures apart that is. It may or may not do anything. I think on agar with monokaryotes it would work.

This is on my to do list but i need to establish some monocultures again so it will be awhile before i can squeeze in a hybrid project.
  • coorsmikey, peacefrog, happy4nic8r and 1 other like this

#11 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

or get some pure colchicine? what does that do?

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:29 AM

I don't believe two different species can cross, like Pans and Jalisco.  As far as I know, it is genetically impossible.

• Arathu and Microbe like this

#13 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:45 AM

so they said about breeding a jack rabbit and a domesticated.

nature found a way.

it did die young.

#14 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

I don't believe two different species can cross, like Pans and Jalisco. As far as I know, it is genetically impossible.

I didnt realize it was species. I was thinking strains. There is some debate in rather or not species can be crossed but im with you in this. I think it is near impossible and even it could happen, it would surely me a freak of nature and no where close to being viable. Heck it probably wouldnt even survive. On the contrary, the science community know very little about mushrooms and are just beginning to scratch the surface.
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#15 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

or get some pure colchicine? what does that do?

Im not sure the exact science but it is a method to chemically induce polyploidy allowing for a cell to double or even triple the sets of chromosomes which is very common in hybridization of plants. For the longest time it was said that in higher organisms such as fungi, this process would be lethal to the organism. There is very little science around this and fungi at the moment and you have to dig to find info.

More importantly im interested in using colchicine in a attempt to take a monokaryotic culture that i capture from a singe spore germination and induce double haploid production, doubling the sets of chromosomes making it dikaryotic that can now fruit. In essence im creating a monoculture right from spore.

This wont be easy and the most difficult part would be capturing a single monokaryotic culture before it has a chance to find a compatible mate. Once that is done i am extremely confident that i can force it to mate with itself relatively easy. Would this be masturbation? Lmao come on im always so serial and dont always get to make jokes! My theory is that it should be able to sporulate but there are difference of opinions but being able to chemically create a monoculture from a single monokaryote that fruits will a victory in my book.

On the contrary to my reply to mlbjammer in another post, i believe we can find away to cross that genetic barrier and complete hybridization of deffrent species and maybe even genus. Im not talking a fish with a bird but a tiger with a cougar. The more i study about mycelium, the more i realize just how complex and intelligent it is. It is by far the most adaptive and evolving organism i know of and it will do just about anything to survive and if that means a Psilocybe Cubensis mating with Panaeolus cyanscens then perhaps it may. Nothing shocks me anymore when it comes to fungi. What? Slime Mold redesigned the Japan subway system, yeah they do that all the time!

Here are some good reads.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3350714/

http://rspb.royalsoc...t/279/1738/2497

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3443072/
  • Arathu and happy4nic8r like this

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,828 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Awesome! I knew I was going to have to dive into genetics at some point............

"The more i study about mycelium, the more i realize just how complex and intelligent it is. It is by far the most adaptive and evolving organism i know of and it will do just about anything to survive and if that means a Psilocybe Cubensis mating with Panaeolus cyanscens then perhaps it may."

Personally I am wondering if these organisms, fungi and bacteria, are responsible for transforming space rocks into living planets. Good stuff right here! I will get to the papers tomorrow.....I gotta go to work midnight.........

• Microbe likes this

#17 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Many plant like oganisms self pollinate, ( masturbation with successful germination!!). Good stuff Microbe.

I've got colchicine if you need some.

• Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!