• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dankcontraption

dankcontraption

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

At what point in the cultivation process do the mushrooms become safe® from outside contamination?  Is it after I start to see pins?

• happy4nic8r likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,786 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Welcome DC! It is in my opinion and observation that mushrooms are never safe from outside contamination unless they are in a sterile environment the whole time without any competition. Although fully colonized mycelium is more resistant to contamination than uncolonized substrate. I am not sure when any organism is safe from contamination. But here is a good place to to seek some more guidance on the subject. Hope it helps https://mycotopia.net/

Edited by coorsmikey, 10 January 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#3 dankcontraption

dankcontraption

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:56 AM

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it and will do more research!

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,426 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Mushroom spores are another contaminant. They are just the ones we want to win and eat the food we put in their cage.

If they eat all the food, other airborne contams will have a hard time getting established.

Fully colonized cakes or bulk is most resistant, every time you expand by adding more casing, you take a chance of introducing another competitor.

Taking it to fruiting you have to consider the air in your grow chamber and the water you keep the humidity up with. I've had quite a few that pinned, even grew a couple fruits, then turned south.

Keep trying. Each area has its own idiosyncrasies. I had water one place that was 8.5 pH. That caused me some grief.

#5 catattack

catattack

Mycotopia's beast coast day shift helper. [^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,593 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

The healthier the colony the more resistant it is IMHO/IME.

#6 MrBiscuits

MrBiscuits

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Relatively Safe:

825286136-Glad_colo_1.jpg

Relatively unsafe:

408661010-DSC_1690.jpg

I've personally initiated fruiting at both of these stages with no contamination...hell, possibly even with a casing less colonized than this above image.

I keep my room quite clean.

And use H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) in much of my water. Dilutions vary, depending upon the application.

However, I believe what you want to know is:  The top picture is at, probably, the highest level of assurance that you will not catch contamination. To reiterate what the other folks said here - There is no guarantee against contamination, but you can make damn sure that your desired culture (strain of mushrooms) is the strongest culture fighting for the food. The pins are just a guarantee that you will get some fruits out of the amount of mycelium that did manage to culture, it can still lose the race. Also, in much rarer circumstances, the mushrooms are the food. Get rid of that immediately and bleach with a heavy concentration of H2O2, or, quite frankly, whatever caustic shit you have around, and start over.

• Arathu and catattack like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!