• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 caphead

caphead

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

Guys...I'm sitting here heartbroken as I type this.  

I just lost 130 BRF jars. I'm not kidding. I just finished scraping all the infected grossness out and dumping it in the trash.

I had gotten good syringes in the past from a vendor who I guess I shouldn't name...but I guess this last order was full of crappy, infected spores.  

I estimate I lost ~ 5 hours, and $US300. Not to mention the cost of the spores (and yes I'm pursuing a refund).

It was 6 PC's full of jars!!

D

C

B

A

I don't know what to do.

I really need some solid advice.  

Should I try a different vender?

I was thinking about joining the special group here that does trades, etc, but I don't have anything to trade. 

The idea of making my own prints and syringes sounds like I could mess up just like this company did. 

So depressed right now...super bummer...excuse me now, I must go retreat to a dark room and cry for a bit...

:(

• MLBjammer likes this

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:16 AM

Dang, that's a lot of jars.  Becoming VIP is a good move regardless.

If the vendor offers replacement syringes, just test them out on a few jars before inoculating a whole bunch.  Or purchase new syringes from another vendor--we support Earth's Tongue and Li'l Shop of Spores here.

Taking spore prints and making syringes is pretty easy.  All you need is a glove box (less than $10).

Sorry to hear of your loss.  That is a lot of work to throw away.  I definitely feel your pain.

• somushroom likes this

#3 HankoDelicious

HankoDelicious

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

Was this all one strain or several different strains? 

Is your vendor a sponsor with a solid reputation? 

If it is a problem from the vendor, give it time and more cases/posts will pop up that got stuff from a bad batch, then you will know it is most certainly a vendor problem. 

It could just be that you made up a 'bad batch' as sometimes happen and it is very sad because you had made such a big batch, perhaps make smaller batches on a daily basis and not 'put all the eggs in one basket'. 

Very sorry for this loss to you! It must feel really terrible, I know I am down in the dumps if I just loose one or two jars. 

Hope that you can sort it out soon. 

#4 caphead

caphead

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

Taking spore prints and making syringes is pretty easy.

I watched some videos on it -- I am a bit worried since the process seemed pretty unsanitary in general. Sucking up non-spores in a folded up, non-sterile piece of tinfoil looked quite lackadaisical.   :mellow:

purchase new syringes from another vendor--we support Earth's Tongue and Li'l Shop of Spores here.

I'll check them out! Thanks! Yeah this other vendor I don't think gets the best reviews...

Was this all one strain or several different strains?

It was all one strain...Amazon. I've had good luck with the same vendor's Alacabenzi spores. But this is just...depressing.

It could just be that you made up a 'bad batch' as sometimes happen and it is very sad because you had made such a big batch, perhaps make smaller batches on a daily basis and not 'put all the eggs in one basket'.

I totally get it...but this was 3 separate days in the kitchen with the glovebox...each time I had 2 PC's running side by side. After examining my process, the jars, and the outcome, it's definitely the syringes. Quite honestly, I wish it was something I did...cos then there'd be hope for the other syringes!!  :ohmy:

I'm getting ready to either

1) find a new vendor

2) bite the bullet on making my own syringes

3) donate to the site.

(Well, sooner or later I'll definitely do number 3, regardless of anything else, just because it's the right thing to do...)

Edited by caphead, 11 January 2017 - 05:45 AM.

• happy4nic8r and Nsnail like this

#5 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,426 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Filling syringes is fun, and pretty easy too. Also easy to screw up. Lots of parts and each one can be a contam vectors.

just remembering making huge batches didn't work as well as small ones for me. don't know why/

Edited by happy4nic8r, 11 January 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,786 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Just a random guess with the information provided. I would consider running longer than standard PC times with the quantity of jars being sterilized or doing smaller PC runs each time without so many jars.
  • Juthro, Needles and dankcontraption like this

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,686 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

I think you just answered your own question in your last post

New vendor - I suggest mycotopia sponsor
Make syringe - pretty easy and a skill for self preservation and a quality trade comodity
Donate - with out people like youwhondonate it would be difficult to
Be around for threads like this or go VIP and come chat the day away with us.

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,203 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

When doing really large batches of anything, you might consider doing a couple of jars as a control.

By that I mean, if you had taken 2 jars out of each pc load and set them aside, without injecting spore solution in them.

You would now be able to reason that if none of the control jars contamed, and only the jars injected with spore solution were growing bad things. Then it is fairly likely that the spore solution is the culprit.

But if some (or all) of your control jars turn ugly as well, then you know that there was a problem with getting your stuff sterilized. Because it wont matter how clean the spores solution is, if your putting it in dirty jars.
  • Sidestreet, coorsmikey, Cue and 2 others like this

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

I agree you should make your own syringes.  With a single spore print you can make hundreds of CCs of spore solution.

That said, are you sure you want 130 fruiting jars?  Even if your intentions are good, having that much weight on your hands can be very uncomfortable.  Look up the penalties in your state given the yields you would see and think hard about whether the risk is worth your agenda.

I only nag because I care.  :hug:

Edited by Sidestreet, 11 January 2017 - 03:17 PM.

• PsyBearknot, Arathu, Juthro and 1 other like this

#10 moxieshroom

moxieshroom

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Sorry for the loss man. Id go with what psybear said.

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,126 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Obviously no need to elaborate any further there..........good info and advice already given.

Sorry for the downer, big runs can be problematic for that reason alone.................. :ohmy:

Regroup, learn from the experience, and move forward.....IMHO

• Needles likes this

#12 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,919 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:28 AM

shit happens.jpeg

• Sidestreet likes this

#13 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,560 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Oh man.. this brings me back.. I've lost entire batches like that before.. reeeally sucks. I feel your pain. I've made hundreds of cakes...

(I'm pretty sure these are on here somewhere already, but I'm super lazy so I'm not going to look for them lol)
9EDD8CED-660A-4B71-AB2B-C4DE62CCA034-776-000000B9611D812D_tmp.png 7B1ED676-A303-420D-B969-798CB9404615-776-000000B97DB42947_tmp.png 9C7DCE26-47D7-480B-8077-C2066DE826AE-776-000000B9849AD46E_tmp.png 39A05819-60D9-45DC-A74C-8F35D9325A47-776-000000B9904CD281_tmp.png E88EDC38-BE08-4824-8EB5-503EECE9E306-776-000000B9A1F55C5F_tmp.png 5A3369DB-0C67-457D-82C0-58286A804E62-776-000000B9AAF61285_tmp.png 97C1B517-579F-40A0-83C6-74FF6F4727FA-776-000000B9C4B94E42_tmp.png D447CA80-8393-4A32-85E2-34CF7DD2C016-776-000000B9D6C9CDAD_tmp.png 70F94D7A-B2FB-4047-869F-9E774B0ED844-776-000000B9DDD47F6F_tmp.png DDCA02E1-89B8-4CC6-BAA8-D9CCD898A4DB-776-000000B9E3EE68D2_tmp.png

All it took was losing an amount like you to get me into cloning and making myc water and expanding that and saving the clone on secured dried out corn (most grains could work, but the corn broke up so nicly because of the kernel size.)

Check this out... https://mycotopia.ne...one-tek-redone/. That's how got clean clones without using a SAB or a flowhood.

And here's how I made the lids so I could dry the popcorn out to save for a later date.. https://mycotopia.ne...e-test-of-time/

I think the longest I kept a viable jar was just over a year in a drawer in my apt. Lol. I'd use the fridge if you can (mini fridge only to store the clones or slants in you move on to agar.)

I would personally grow a FEW cakes of a certain variety that you want and use those fruits to clone.. making like 4 or 5 clones of each just to be sure and then expand those to maybe pint or quart jars and use that to harvest the myc from via the method in the lid link above. Then you never have to worry about printing again and know that you have a viable clone that works well.

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 12 January 2017 - 07:41 PM.

• Sidestreet, MLBjammer, Juthro and 2 others like this

#14 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

I too know your pain. That was a lot of jars to loose. Like a lot of us have done, clean your jars mix a new batch of substrate and try again. As others have said, maybe do a few jars at a time and go from there. It's sometimes hard to trouble shoot contamination issues. When your techniques are clean and a vendors syringe are not it can be discouraging. Just keep at it you will prevail. .......

#15 caphead

caphead

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:48 AM

Hey guys!!

First off, thanks a lot for all your kind, encouraging words. It's great (?) to hear that others have gone through this same thing. 

I appreciate all the advice. I will read and refer to this often.

BUT!!! In a major epiphany last night, I bolted upright out of bed -- I might have figure out where I went totally, completely, horribly wrong.

I haven't changed the bleach in my spray bottle since mid August. That's 5 months...my first batch I ever made. 

I've immediately ordered some bleach testing strips. I am going to test the solution and see how weak it is. I can tell by the 'sniff test' that that shit is not at maximum!!

Fingers crossed. I may have figured it out....

#16 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

You want to change that water every week or two, or at least add some bleach to the mix.  You use the bleach water to clean all your utensils, work space, etc.?

Damn, Faht, you know we have many of your killer cake pics, man.  I tried like hell to get one drop of solution in a small grain jar, but I could never quite do it.

Any time anyone says cakes suck, I have one word for them: Fahtster.

• Sidestreet, Hash_Man and Arathu like this

#17 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,560 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

Yeah... just trying to show some pics of encouragement (AND it's all I got these days lol not growing sucks) I know what a loss like the OP's can do on morale. I won't do that kind of duplicate pic drop anymore. The one drop of spore solution method is definitely tricky. I was more showing that it's fairly easy to clone to grain and expand that way to get myc water instead of spore solution and you won't have to rely on syringes others have made for you.

Wasn't trying to thread jack or anything, won't happen again.

But back to what you were saying, caphead... why would your bleach bottle being old have caused you to lose all those jars? Do you mean your work area wasn't clean enough? Just by the law of averages on a an amount of jars that large, you would have seen at least a few still survive, one would think. If you're flaming the needle between jars, you shouldn't see that kind of loss.. unless your house is a disaster area. Lol.

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 14 January 2017 - 12:23 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#18 caphead

caphead

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:51 AM

@fahset, your post was really interesting. I'm glad you did a low-grade post hijack -- it got me thinking about cloning, Going to schedule some firm research time in next weekend. Right now, I know nothing about it, since I've only done a total of 11 batches of PK tech BRF cakes so far.

Regarding the bleach, I used it to spray down the inside of my inoculation chamber.  Trying my best to have a sterile environment. I'm super paranoid about it. 

When going over my process, I was considering everything, and trying to see where the failure point was that resulted in ~ 6 dozen jars going bad. The PC is fine...the jars were fine...IC was sprayed down thoroughly and everything...

...but I didn't even think about the quality of the bleach in my spray bottle. <forehead slap>

Looking forward to the bleach test strips arriving in the mail. Want to see how strong this bleach really is. If so, then no need to wonder any further.

If the bleach actually was still strong enough...well, then I'm back to blaming the spore supplier! 

• fahtster likes this

#19 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:21 AM

If it was just plain water in the bottle, it still wouldn't cause every single one of those jars to contaminate.  No, it's most likely you got a hold of some dirty syringes.  It happens once in a while.

• Juthro likes this

#20 caphead

caphead

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

Hi guys,

I can't assume anyone cares, but still wanted to share my experience with this whole debacle.  

I took advice from @Juthro : I did a small batch with 8 jars:

4 jars were inoculated like normal  (labeled: Type I for 'inoculated')

2 jars with a poke from a syringe, but no inoculation (labeled: Type P for 'pull out method')

2 jars with no poke, just sitting there (labeled: Type V for 'virgin')

If:

1)     Type I only goes moldy, we blame the syringe manufacturer

2)     Type I and Type P go moldy, then we blame the conditions in the Inoculation  Chamber

3)    Type I, Type P, Type V all go moldy, we blame the sanitization process in the PC 

Survey says....

I got 3) 

So, there must be something funky going on with the PC. TIme to start troubleshooting that part of the process...

Thanks again for your help everyone. Couldn't have made it this far with you all.

Edited by caphead, 09 February 2017 - 03:25 AM.

• Sidestreet, Juthro and Gnomesayin like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!